ECO-SPAN®: Economical Precast Concrete Arch Bridge System
ECO-SPAN® precast concrete arch systems are used for bridges, culverts, tunnels, underpasses and underground containment structures. Several shapes are available to fit a variety of site conditions. Spans range from 12 to 84 feet and beyond. Using precast concrete headwalls, wingwalls and foundations, an entire structure can often be installed in one day.
ECO-SPAN® is the fastest growing precast concrete three-sided bridge system on the market!
Here are some of the reasons to consider us on your next project:
- NETWORK: Buy from a local NPCA or ACPA approved precast concrete producer with a reputation for quality work.
- TECHNICAL SUPPORT: From budget estimates and type/size/location studies through installation and backfill, our team of professional engineers and small bridge experts is ready to help. A representative is on site at every installation to address technical concerns and ensure that everything runs on schedule.
- COMPETITIVE PRICING: While some parts of our system are proprietary, the ECO-SPAN® arch shapes are not. Use of non-proprietary shapes simplifies the bidding process and complies with public funding requirements. We earn business by providing the best value to the owner and contractor on every project.
- STRUCTURAL EFFICIENCY: No arch shape is ideal for every site. This is why we offer three shape options: Arch-Box, Versa™ Single Radius and Versa™ Multiple Radius. All things considered, one of the ECO-SPAN® shape offerings has proven to be the most efficient option on a majority of the sites that we encounter.
- EXPERIENCE: Don’t trust your project to just anyone. Our engineering staff at PreTek Group has worked on thousands of precast arch projects. Our producers have years of experience as some of the most trusted names in the industry.
Use of modular three-sided concrete arch systems continues to increase in the United States. Advantages over other options include:
- SMOOTH RIDE: The arch shape provides a gradual transition on and off the structure, improving ride quality and eliminating the need for approach slabs.
- SAFETY: Bridge deck icing in cold-temperature regions is reduced or eliminated.
- LONG-TERM COST: Expected service life similar to that of reinforced concrete pipe. No bridge deck maintenance or replacement.
- AESTHETICS: Who doesn’t appreciate the natural, timeless appearance of an arch bridge?
- STRENGTH: Arches may be designed for heavy loads such as AREMA Cooper E-80, military or permit vehicles, aircraft, and high fill.
- SPEED: Federal Highway Administration’s Get In, Get Out, Stay Out, Accelerated Bridge Construction, and Prefabricated Bridge Elements and Systems initiatives encourage the use of prefabricated systems to minimize traffic disruption.
The arch-box (AB) series is ideal for a wide range of site conditions. It offers the load-carrying capacity of the arch while the vertical legs maximize open area for waterway or other clearance requirements.
Versa™ Single Radius
The circular Versa™ Single Radius (VS) is a very efficient shape for high-fill or other heavy loading applications.
Versa™ Multiple Radius
The elliptical Versa™ Multiple Radius (VM) is an efficient shape for long stream enclosures with low to medium fill heights.
Headwalls retain earth fill over the top of the arch structure at each end. They can be designed to support pedestrian rail or bridge rail.
Wingwalls transition the backfill elevation from top of headwall to stream bed at each end of the structure. They also protect the embankment from scour and erosion.
A variety of foundation types may be used to support the ECO-SPAN® Arch System including strip, mat and deep foundations. A qualified geotechnical engineer should be retained to recommend which type is best for your site. Vertical stem walls may be used with any foundation type to provide additional waterway or clearance. Precast foundations are available to speed the construction process.
Frequently Asked Questions